From:
A&C Thompson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 Apr 2002 09:34:16 -0800
I ran into some problems, but have since worked them out. From lack of experience, I booted with my
boot disk, then started with cdrom support. This, of course, provided a virtual drive (I:) from
which to work, but it also seemed to cause drive letters to jump over I:\ and create J, K...etc.
After realizing my mistake, I rebooted without cdrom support, fdisked the 60gig, and created only an
extended dos partition using the entire drive. Then I was able to create 4 logical drives within the
extended dos partition, and format them each. Another mistake was that I thought I HAD to create a
primary dos partition, but realize that was not necessary - at least not on the slave. Anyway, I now
have the new drive as master with a primary dos partition, an extended dos partition and 3 logical
drives within the extended, so I ended up with C, D, E, and F all on the new drive, and G, H, I, and
J all on the old drive - nice and tidy, and all work fine. I also was indeed able to use 'Reserved
drive letters' in device manager to assign my cdrom and dvd drives as I had wanted. There's a couple
other questions I have if anyone cares to reply:

1.) I assume the master drive MUST have an active, primary dos partition - is that correct?
2.) Should my cdrom and dvd drives be given DMA in device manager?

Thanks a ton for everyone's help, and I apologize if the info you all supplied was covered on this
list many times - I just never have much luck searching the archives. Thanks again...

Al Thompson