From:
Joe Lore <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 May 2003 14:30:11 -0400
Hi,

You need to put the drives on 2 different channels and the problem goes
away -

Thanks and have a Great Day!

Joe Lore

------------

I'm upgrading to an Intel D845PESV MB with WinXPPro.
It's in a Lian Li case with two Lian Li RH-321 hard drive mobile racks.
The top drawer, primary drive, C: is a Maxtor D740X-6L 40Gig jumpered as
master It's on the end connector of cable from Primary IDE channel The
bottom drawer, backup drive, D:, is a WD400 IDE 40Gig jumpered as a
slave It's on the middle connector of cable from Primary IDE channel

The HD drawers have drive activity lights. Whenever the computer is on,
both HD activity lights flash in unison all the time, from bootup until
shutdown. I would expect only the C: light would be flashing until the
D: drive was asked to do something. I changed the jumpers on both drives
to "Cable select" and it acts just the same.

I have used this same setup on W98 machines for a long time and never
saw this. The D: drive always used to "sleep" until I Ghosted C: to the
D: for backup purposes. Anybody know why this is happening? Is this a
false indication? Are both drives being written to identically? Is there
a way to check to see if drives are identical? Should they be on
different IDE controllers? Is this an XP or a hardware problem? Thanks
for any input.  Bob Lendrim

                  Visit our website regularly for FAQs,
                          http://freepctech.com