From:
E B Lund <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 Nov 2003 00:37:25 -0600
For low volume printing probably any will do.  Just see who is selling what
on sale.  In fact, my guess would be that there would be a lot of low end
printers selling cheap on e-bay . . . the ones offered free with new
computer purchases.  I have been tempted by some of the computer packages
that include free printer after rebate, even though I don't need one.  Would
think there are plenty others who take the freebie then sell it.  The
typical price point on low end printers in the states is $50, sometimes
after rebate.  E-bay probably has the same ones new, for less than that.

My experience has mostly been with Lexmark, although I also had another
brand (whose name escapes me) that I had the same problem with; if you don't
use them regularly, the inkjets dry out, and won't print.  Although you can
use solvent to clean the inkjet, it is a real pain.  Alternatively, if you
can remember to print something, anything, every few days, you may be able
to avoid this problem

One option that I just took was to get a Samsung MX 1710 Laser Printer, $100
after rebate at
http://microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0157857 .
Since many office and computer stores will price match (and some also have
that $70 rebate at http://microcenter.com/rebate_show.phtml?id=5941 ) that
may be a viable alternative.  Although twice as expensive, the cost per page
is much less on lasers, and I don't think you will have the clogging problem
you have with inkjets.  I guess it all depends on your definition of
inexpensive.

If you like, I can report back to you on how well the thing works once I can
find a USB cable around here.

William Closure