Date:
Wed, 20 Jun 2012 08:13:16 -0700
  If the partition is empty (or there's stuff in it, but you don't want
it any more), I would DELETE it, and then GROW the main partition to use
that freed space.  (If they're not adjacent, you may need to move
another partition so the freed space is next to the main partition.)
  This gets you the effect you really want without the risky/tricky
business of trying to join two active partitions.

David Gillett