From:
Mark Rode <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 4 Oct 1999 12:15:09 -0700
First for those new PCBUILDers  who don't know..... BSOD = Blue Screen Of
Death.
  All of a sudden without warning your screen turns blue and you have a lot
of white writing on it ! The only way out is to hit the reset switch or
power off.

This sort of thing happens when two devices  try to occupy the same place
in memory at exactly the same time. The most likely culprit is the Video
driver and or card. First try up-dating your drivers and or try another
resolution / color level...if you still get a BSOD try  this as a
diagnostic measure.....Go to Control Panel....System ....select the
Performance Tap.....select the Graphics button.....turn the Hardware
acceleration button down a notch....if you get another BSOD go down another
notch. If that doesn't help and if it is possible try swapping out your
video card to any other manufacture and see if the problem persists.  If
one of these tests make the BSOD go away then it has something to due with
the Video Card or driver conflicting with another driver and or program and
the easiest solution may be to swap out your Video Card to another
manufacturer. As a general rule Matrox is known for stability...although
all manufacturers have their bad cards.

My next suspect would be RAM...particularly if you have recently installed
new RAM......to diagnose you would need to remove the Simms or Dimms and
swap out with RAM that you are positive is good.

Good Luck

>For a couple of months, my machine has been doing the Blue Screen of Death
>routine on an almost daily basis. The odd thing is that it never happens
>What I do know is that zero is going on by way of applications running, and
>that it never happens during use.
>The message in the blue screen is typically cryptic, but always involves
>something called
>"VXD VMM(001)". The machine is frozen, and a cold boot is necessary to
>recover.
>Rick Lindstrom
>Eugene, Oregon

                     visit our download web page at: