From:
David Gillett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 13 Dec 2004 21:02:37 -0800
  I don't think you've specified what version of Windows you're running.
That might be helpful.

  Assuming that this message is legitimate (I've never seen it or heard of
it before, so there's a slight chance that the software producing it is not,
in fact, a legitimate denizen of your machine...), the amount of virtual
memory in the system is determined by the combined size of all the paging
files.  (NT/2K/XP systems have have one per drive volume, not just one for
the whole system.)
  Windows will initially allocate the configured minimum size of paging
file, and then increase its sizer as needed to the configured maximum.  I
think Windows determines default values for these at installation, based on
the amount of RAM present -- perhaps you've added RAM to these systems
during their lifetime?

  Growth and shrinking of the paging file slows overall operation of the
system and promotes fragmentation of the files on that drive.  You can avoid
both by setting a fixed paging file size (minimum = maximum), and may be
able to further enhance performance by putting the paging file on its own
volume or even drive.  Your 2GB current maximu should do fine, and if you
set the minimum to that then the message will go away and performance should
improve a bit.

David Gillett

On 12 Dec 2004 at 22:08, Laurie Lusinski wrote:

> [...]

                         PCBUILD's List Owners:
                      Bob Wright<[log in to unmask]>
                       Drew Dunn<[log in to unmask]>