From:
Missy Hoppe <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 May 2007 22:38:31 -0400
Hello. My name is Missy, and I just recently joined this email list. I'd
like to

appologize in advance for the length of this message, but I'm just trying
to provide as much detail as possible in hopes that people can provide me
with as much feedback as possible before I make my final computer purchase
some time over the next week or so.

I'm a blind computer enthusiast preparing to buy a new system, one that I

hope will last me for at least as

long as my current system has. The last computer I got was in 2002, and

although it is still more or less functional, I'm wanting to get a system
that is not only more

up-to-date, but also more responsive. I do a lot of work with audio files ,

mostly mp3 and midi. I also do a lot of

web browsing, word processing, and I play a lot of text-based games both on

and off line. I've been trying to do my homework with regards to parts to

include in my dream system. I've decided that even if it might be a little

more expensive, I'd rather "hand pick" every aspect of my new system to

insure that I know exactly what I'm getting and also to insure maximum

compatibility with my screen reading software.

I have several reasons for not wanting to buy a ready-made system from Dell

or another similar company. First of all, i have a dell computer at work,

and it's even more flaky than the computer I'm preparing to retire.

Secondly, when I put together a hypathetical system on Dell's site that was

comparable to the one I'm planning, it was over $5000; my current price
from Newegg for everything I'd like to include in my new system is around
$3400. Finally, with Dell or another similar company, I'd be buying
software and other stuff that I really

didn't want or need, also a 20+ monitor which is completely pointless in my

situation.

Now that I've hopefully answered that question, my goals for this system,

in order of importance, are maximum stability,

maximum responsiveness and as much future proofing as possible. I'm

prepared to spend up to $3000 to get everything as nice as possible, but

naturally, if I could spend less, that would be really great. For numerous

reasons, I'm not planning to upgrade to Windows Vista quite yet; I'm

planning to run my new computer using Windows XP media center edition for a

year or so. Never-the-less, I'd like this new computer to be completely

ready for vista if/when I decide to upgrade.

.With all that being said, I was hoping that I could get advice from
members of this forum with regards to my final parts checklist. I'm
planning to

purchase all my parts from newegg within a week or so, and then get

the system assembled by a local computer "expert".

Before I spend any money, though, I'm trying to make certain that I haven't

picked out any blatently incompatible parts, or that I haven't overlooked

anything really major. As much research as I've done over the past couple
of months,

there are still a few  things that I don't fully understand. All I know is

that I have no plans to overclock my system, especially since my screen
reading software can't

access the bios, so I would have to rely on someone with vision to do all

the playing around, and nobody I know would even have the slightest clue

how to do any of that stuff. Also, I only have minimal understanding with

regards to what the purpose of rade is, but I do know that at least for
now, I have no

intention or desire to make use of it. I essencially want somebody to be

able to put my system together, I install my screen reading software, and
then

everything will work together as harmoniously as possible. At this point,
I'm reasonably confident in every aspect of my system, but would just like
feedback from people with more experience than myself to confirm that
everything I've chosen should be able to work together.

To answer a few questions up front, I want 2 optical drives to make copying
cds or dvds a little easier; I chose the combo drive since it can go up to
52X for CDs. Regarding fans and other case cooling, it is my understanding,
based on most of what I've read, that the stock fans, heat sinks, etc that
one gets with varius components aren't all that great. So, I'm planning to
use 5 thunderblade fans in the blue dreamer case and not make use of any of
the stock fans. Similarly, I am replacing the power supply included with
the case with what sounds like the best su to meet my needs. I got the
Zalman cpu cooler because, again, the stock one didn't sound all that
great. Finally, I'm not sure about the north and south bridge stuff. I've
already got the Thermaltake chipset cooler purchased, so would like to use
that, and I was thinking that the Zalman passive chipset cooler might be
good for the south bridge.

Finally, I want to let you know that I've purchased a floppy drive,
internal card reader, soundcard and tv tuner card separately; I just found
them at better prices, and in the case of the tv tuner card and soundcard,
Newegg just didn't have the parts I was wanting to use.

I would really appreciate any and all feedback you might be able to provide
with regards to my final parts list. This

new system is going to be a huge investment for me, so I want to make sure

I'm only spending what is strictly necessary to build the best PC I

possibly can. Thank you in advance for any assistance you can provide, and

I hope that you're having a really great day!

Sincerely,

Melissa J. Hoppe

APEVIA X-Dreamer II ATXB4KLW-BL Blue Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

Model Number: ATXB4KLW-BL

Thermaltake A1926 120mm Blue LED Case Fan

Model Number: Thunderblade A1926

4 Thermaltake A1910 80mm Blue LED Case Fan

Model Number: A1910

ABIT AB9 QuadGT LGA 775 Intel P965 Express ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail

Model Number: AB9 QuadGT

EVGA 256-P2-N740-LR GeForce 8500GT 256MB GDDR2 PCI Express x16 Video Card -
Retail

Model Number: 256-P2-N740-LR

ZALMAN ZM600-HP ATX12V 600W Power Supply - Retail

Model Number: ZM - 600HP

Intel Core 2 Extreme X6800 Conroe 2.93GHz LGA 775 Processor

Model Number: BX80557X6800

2X Kingston HyperX 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400)
Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model KHX6400D2LLK2/2GN - Retail

Model Number: KHX6400D2LLK2/2GN

SAMSUNG SpinPoint T Series HD501LJ 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive -
OEM

Model Number: HD501LJ

SAMSUNG 740N-BK Black 17" 8ms LCD Monitor

Model Number: 740n-Black

LITE-ON Combo Drive Black SATA Model SHC-52S7K-05 - OEM

Model Number: SHC-52S7K-05

LITE-ON 20X DVD±R DVD Burner with LightScribe Black SATA Model
LH-20A1L-05 - OEM

Model Number: LH-20A1L-05

Microsoft Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 SP2b

Model Number: M93-00439

Microsoft Office Professional 2003 SP2

Model Number: 269-13253

Arctic Silver CMQ-22G The high-density, ceramic-based thermal compound -
Retail

Model #: CMQ-22G

Thermaltake CL-C0034 Copper Fan&Heatsinks

Model Number: CL-C0034

ZALMAN CNPS9500 AT 2 Ball CPU Cooling Fan/Heatsink

Model Number: CNPS9500 AT

ZALMAN ZM-NB47J Aluminum Heatsinks only

Model Number: ZM-NB47J

VANTEC HDC-701A-BL Aluminum Aluminum Hard Driver Cooler

Model Number: HDC-701A-BL

SONY Black 1.44MB 3.5" Internal Floppy Drive

Model Number: MPF920 Black

Scythe internal 3.5 Kama Reader 18in1 Card Reader Black

Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeMusic 24bit

Vista View Saber 2020 Dual Analog PCIe MCE TV-FM Tuner Card

                  Visit our website regularly for FAQs,
                          http://freepctech.com