From:
Dennis Noble <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 17 Jan 1999 22:55:51 -0600
A modem that states that it is a voice modem only means that it is able to
answer the phone and act as an answering machine, voice mail and or a
speaker phone. A regular fax/data modem is unable to do this. A net phone
application would not and could not benefit from a voice modem because the
Inter-Net does not process analog voice signals.

 An Inter Net phone application uses the Sound Card to recieve the sound
into the computer. The Inter Net Phone application changes this analog
information into a code that can be sent via the the modem to the inter net
to the recieving computer. The recieving computer using its modem, and the
same type Inter Net phone program, to decode this information and uses the
sound card to play this decoded information thru its speakers.

If you have a dual or full duplex sound card, one is able to both speak and
listen at the same time (like a phone). If one has a single or half duplex
sound card, they can only speak or listen at any one time (like walkie
talkies). Even if your modem and sound card are on the same card, they
perform seperate functions.

Dennis Noble
Computer Parts & Upgrades
Phone: 512-949-2085