From:
Heather Hopkins <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 28 Dec 2000 16:14:22 -0500
My friend has an older computer (1995)- I think it's a 486 - running Win
98, 40Mb Ram. It has a problem with the display adapter. In the control
panel under Display Adapter are two entries. 'Super VGA' and 'Trident
9685/9680/9682/9385/9382/9385-1 PCI'. The Trident... has a yellow
exclamation mark on it. When I go to the Tridents properties the Drivers
check out fine-the resources tab says there is an input/output resource
conflict. Knowing not at all what I was doing I unchecked 'use automatic
settings' and hit 'change setting' Then I tried to select the memory
addresses and input/output range not marked with a red cross. When I
rebooted I got a ruined screen. Went into Safe mode and removed the
Trident... Display adapter. Rebooted. Windows found new hardware and tried
to reload the Trident... Almost got into windows - wallpaper displayed - but before the icons appeared I got a BSOD. After a few more Reboots Windows ran some self diagnostics and the Registry checker reinstalled an older version of itself. But I am back where I started. (With that yellow exclamation mark in the device manager). Can anybody give me step-by-step directions to fixing this problem. I have tried to find the Trident website with jumper settings for the card - a couple hours of web surfing with no success. My friend has no paperwork or installation disk for her display adapter.
> I have tried removing the Super VGA entry hoping that would free up the
necessary memory, but it doesn't and eventually the 'Super VGA' shows up
again in the Device Manager.

                    Digest mode - visit our web site:
                    http://nospin.com/pc/pcbuild.html