From:
Ronald G Jobe <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 May 2000 08:07:44 -0500
I'm at my wits end (which doesn't seem too far these days!) over a
problem
with this computer.  A customer brought this in and said that it just
takes
errors whenever they try to use it.  They do most of their work in MS
Word.
Sometimes the machine will send up an Illegal operation message or
a GPF when they try to change some type to bold, or similiar operations.
It takes about a day to prepare and print 2 pages because of the
problems.

I worked with this machine for about 3 hours and found no problems.  I
finally contacted the customer again to see if they could provide more
info.  Upon turning the machine on again, Windows wouldn't even start!
Based upon the errors I was getting, I have:
(1) FDISK'd the partitions
(2) FDISK /MBR
(3) Formatted the drive
(4) Loaded W'98 (first edition) with all CPU caching turned off or the PC
couldn't decode all the CAB files.
(5) Turned the CPU caching back on
(6) Loaded MS Office '97 Pro (SR1)
(7) Tried to load the SR1 updates, but was informed that those updates
were not for my version of Windows.

Now when I try to run a macro or template based application in Word I
get a message that "Word cannot fire event" and Excel errors on its own
macros.  WHAT DO I DO NEXT?

The system is a Progen, AMD K6-2/333, 32 meg RAM, 3 G. hard drive,
Sis 530 motherboard w/video, sound, USB, IR onboard, etc.  The system
is running W'98 first edition and MS Office '97 Pro.  Nothing else has
been
loaded.

Thanks for any help!
Ron