From:
David Gillett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 Sep 2005 12:14:00 -0700
On 5 Sep 2005 at 14:09, Foss Family wrote:

> I have been a dial up user for years. This week I finally
> broke down and had cable access installed.  My problem is
> when the cable was installed it changed the IP address of my
> computer. I now cannot talk to my other computer or network
> printer. They are all connected through a hub. Do I need to
> get a router or is it a simple configuration problem?
>
> Thank You,
> Bruce Foss

  So it appears that you've plugged the cable modem into the hub, right?

  There are basically two solutions, one of which has two variants:

1.  If you want only this one machine to have Internet access, install a
second NIC in the machine -- one to the hub and one to the cable modem.
Each can/will have its own IP address, although they'll need to be
inseparate ranges.
  If you decide you want other machines to have occasional Internet access,
enable ICS (Internet Connection Sharing) on the machine with two NICs.

2.  To provide general Internet access for all of your machines, insert a
small router between the hub and the modem.

  2b.  Many small modems incorporate a switch for multiple local ports.
This can replace your hub, and you may see improved local network
performance as a result.

David Gillett

                     visit our download web page at:
                  http://freepctech.com/downloads.shtml