From:
Herbert Graf <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 May 1999 11:53:03 -0400
> I need to connect a Windows 98 machine to a computer running
> Windows 3.11 for file and printer sharing. Each computer already
> has a network card and they are connected by a cable. (I was
> using Lantastic 6.0 before moving up to Win 98.)
>  Now what do I do? What network program/protocol to use? I need
> it to be cheap (=free).

        Both Win98 and Win3.11 have everything you need. This is assuming that the
network cards have drivers installed for use in windows, if not do that
first. On the Win3.11 machine, click on network setup, install network
protocols you need (you shouldn't need anything other than netBeui for a
simple network), enable file and printer sharing, for identity choose
anything you want, just make sure that workgroup name is the same as it will
be on the Win98 machine, it will ask for some Win3.11 disks and then reboot.
Then open file manager, click on a drive you want to share, and go I think
to the network menu and choose share as, give it a name and you are done on
this machine. For the Win98 machine, right click on network neighborhood and
select properties (if it's not on the desktop your card hasn't been
recognized by Win98, you have to install it first), click on add, choose
client and then client for windows networks, click OK until you are back to
the first screen, click add again and this time protocol, add netBeui or
whatever you installed on the Win3.11 machine, and click OK until you get
back to the first screen, now click on file and printer sharing, enable
both, press OK and then OK again, it will ask you for Win98 disks and when
done will probably reboot. At some point you would have gotten the identity
screen, put whatever you want there, just make sure workgroup is identical
to the Win3.11 machine. After rebooting, open explorer click on the drive
you what to share, right click on it, select share as and set a few of the
options. That should be it. Win98 help is pretty good explaining all of
this, as is Win3.11 help if you have problems. All I recommend is stay away
from TCP/IP unless you need to, it can be a little trickier to set up, not
that hard, just tricky, lots of seeminly pointless numbers to put in. Good
luck. TTYL

                     http://nospin.com/pc/files.html