From:
Kenneth Whyman SC <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 18 Dec 2010 08:25:17 -0700
One tactic I've had work for doing an emergency backup of files prior to
a reinstall of Windows is to take the drive out of the machine in
question and use a USB adapter kit I got from Fry's Electronics to
connect it to a second machine. I then copy and paste everything I need
to save onto the second machine, using it as temporary storage, do my
reinstall, and repeat the process to copy the data back to the original
drive. It has saved my bacon and that of my clients numerous times. My
particular adapter kit only set me back $50 several years ago, and it
has been worth every penny. It's not a replacement for a good backup
system, but it can be of use. Hope this helps some.