From:
Kyle Elmblade <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 Dec 2001 23:05:45 -0800
I suggest imaging as a backup procedure.  It takes a compressed picture of
your hard drive and saves it as a single file.  It is used most extensively
in corporate environments where they have a standard desktop and hardware
platform.  If you gotta pump 10, 20, or more systems out a day that all need
to have the same software installed, you just create an image of one that is
already set up, and put that image on the new systems to be installed.  Very
efficient.

For home use purposes, it's a fail-safe.  Before you go formatting and
reinstalling, you create an image.  If something gets messed up on your
system when you rebuild it, and you need to get back up and running quickly,
you just throw the original image back on the drive and your back in
business.  It only needs to be done once before the install, and if
everything goes good and you have a stable system, you can delete the image
(it can hog a lot of your hard drive space).

It's just something I would do cause I'm the cautious type.

Kyle Elmblade
Distinct Computer Solutions
Sales - Upgrades - Training - Consulting
"A closed mouth gathers no foot"