From:
Patrick Black <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 Nov 2001 17:30:07 -0500
1. Unplug Your HD, Floppy, and CD Drive (includes DVD,CDR(W)), then boot it
up, make sure the fan is running on the heatsink, if so there's power on the
motherboard.  How see if you get video.

2.  If not, Try the Video card on another machine to make sure it works, if
it works I would suspect the CPU.

3.  Take everything off the motherboard, execpt for the video card.  Now
boot it up leave it on for just about 20 secs. Shut it down, and carefully,
but quickly take off the heat sink.  Take the chip out, the chip should be
warm on both sides.

4.  If the CPU is warm that's a good sign, if not it's a bad sign.  We need
to confirm if it's the Motherbaord BIOS or not....If you have a friend that
has a similar AMD chip (that's compatible with your board of course) then
try it on your motherboard, or take it to a computer shop to see if one of
their CPU's will work.  IF it boots up then you'll know if it's the
chip.....If it doesn't then we know that it's the motherboard.

5.  Now assuming you've tested the board with another chip and it does not
boot, it could be the entire board itself is dead or the BIO's memory wasn't
properly flashed or the BIO's chip is entirely bad. Most newer BIOS's have
what is known as a boot-block that is hard coded on to the BIOS
chip....Here's what I have on it:

                Boot-block BIOS

Modern motherboards have a boot-block BIOS. This is small area of the BIOS
that doesn't get overwritten when you flash a BIOS. The boot-block BIOS only
has support for the floppy drive. If you have a PCI video card you won't see
anything on the screen because the boot-block BIOS only supports an ISA
videocard.

Award: The boot-block BIOS will execute an AUTOEXEC.BAT file on a bootable
diskette. Copy an Award flasher & the correct BIOS *.bin file on the floppy
and execute it automaticly by putting awdflash *.bin in the AUTOEXEC.BAT
file.

AMI: The AMI boot-block BIOS will look for a AMIBOOT.ROM file on a diskette.
Copy and rename the correct BIOS file on the floppy and power up the PC. The
floppy doesn't need to be bootable. You will see the PC read the floppy,
after about 4 minutes you will hear 4 beeps, this means the transfer is
done. Reboot the PC and modify the CMOS for your configuration.