From:
Matthew Ballard <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 Oct 2000 00:28:14 -0700
At 11:35 PM 10/2/2000 -0400, you wrote:
>If my ISP provides 2 IP addresses, and each computer already has a NIC, what
>else do I need? I assume I still need some sort of Ethernet hub, but do I
>still need a 2nd NIC in my desktop? Or can each of the PC and the laptop and
>the cable modem simply be hooked into the hub and all coexist such that
>either the laptop or the PC can share the cable modem? Do I need any other
>software or do I need to configure Win98 (1st edition) any differently to
>accommodate.
>
>Any other details I need to know? Will any Ethernet hub work or is there
>something in particular I need to look for?
>
>I assume that if I have 2 IP's, that both computers can be accessing the
>internet via the cable modem at the same time?

Your cable modem probably only runs at 10Mbps, so you need to make sure the
hub can run at 10Mbps, if you want faster performance on the local network,
then you would need a switching hub or a switch.  All you should have to do
is connect the computers and the cable modem to the hub (with the
appropriate cabling, you can use the included cable for the cable modem if
you use the uplink), and you shouldn't have to do any special configuration
other than setting up TCP/IP appropriately.  There shouldn't be any
problems at all with both computers accessing the internet at the same time.
Matthew Ballard

                         PCBUILD's List Owner's:
                      Bob Wright<[log in to unmask]>
                       Drew Dunn<[log in to unmask]>