From:
Steve Collins <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 13 Jun 2002 23:21:10 -0400
A crackling noise can be the sign of a failing amplifier or filter cap.
I'd put my money on the same pile as yours.  Failure to connect would
not be a surprise with the digital signal fighting a wave of noise.

      Regards,
        Steve Collins
        AlternateRealities - Computers, Networks and E-Commerce
        Phone: (819)669-8885
        Fax:   (819)669-8887
        e-mail: [log in to unmask]