From:
Paul Ryan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 13 Jul 2001 12:54:34 +0200
I imagine that it is your mother board I found this info on mine,a good page
to research your board is www.wimsbios.com

The VP-1 chipset can only handle 16MBit technology. Memory modules based on
the later 64MBit technology will only be recognized at a quarter of their
capacity.
So you are limited to modules which have

16 MByte and 8 chips
32 MByte and 16 chips
64 Mbyte and 32 chips

Hope that this helps
Paul Ryan

> Subject: SIMM Identification from Chips
>
> Hello, I wanted to check with folks whether my efforts to identify the
> memory capacity of a SIMM, based on the chip part numbers.  If my
> calculations are correct, you'll see that it leads to another question.
>
> The SIMMs were sold to me as 32MB EDO modules.  Each module has 8 chips (4
> on each side) and the chips are Micron chips marked MT4LC16M4G3 DJ.
> Breaking down this part number and decoding it, I get MT=Micron
Technology,
> 4=SDRAM, LC=3.3v, 16M=16megabit depth, 4=4bits wide,G3=8K refresh
> addressing, and DJ=SOJ package.
>
> The main thing I'm interested in is using the 16 megabit x 4 bit capacity
of
> the chips to figure the capacity of the total module.  My understanding is
> that I calculate the capacity of the chips by multiplying depth x width,
> which in this case equals 64 megabits (16megabits x 4bits).  Since there
are
> 8 chips, the total capacity of the the module is 8 x 64 = 512 megabits.
> Divide this by 8 to change from megabits to megabytes and you get 64 MB
> capacity for the module.
>
> Assuming the above is correct, why is this module being sold as a 32MB
> module?
>
> I ended up trying to figure out the capacity of these modules, because the
> first system I tried them in only detected the pair as a total of 32MB
(16MB
> each).  This may be a limitation of the motherboard I was using, a P100
> sytem with a FX chipset (no documentation available).  I tried them in a
> somewhat newer motherboard with a TX chipset, and they were detected as a
> total of 64MB in this system (32MB each), which is what they were
advertised
> as.
>
> My hunch is that these modules are 64MB modules that failed to operate
> properly at full capacity, but rather than discard them, they were labeled
> 32MB and offered for sale.  Does this sound reasonable?  Anyone else run
> into something like this?  Any reactions to this?  For some reason I feel
> bit duped.  (Of course if my number crunching assumptions are wrong, I'll
> just feel chagrined.)
>
> TIA,
>
> John

                     visit our download web page at: