From:
Earl Truss <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 Feb 1999 11:12:41 -0600
----------
> From: Susan Hays <[log in to unmask]>
> To: [log in to unmask]
> Subject: Re: [PCBUILD] Connection Speed
> Date: Tuesday, February 02, 1999 10:41 PM
>
> In a message dated 2/2/99 10:00:49 PM Central Standard Time,
> [log in to unmask] writes:
>
> << hence the need to set the computer-modem speed higher than the
modem-modem
>  speed). >>
>
> Now I am a little confused.  What do you mean by modem-modem speed?  And
> computer-modem speed?

I think what is being referred to is:

Computer-to-modem speed = speed setting between the computer's serial port
and the modem.  For external modems, this is the speed along the cable
connecting the computer to the modem.  For internal modems, it's not so
obvious, but it is still the communications path between the computer's
serial port and the modem - which is now all internal to the computer.
Both the computer and the modem have serial ports and these are what is
being connected by the cable in one case and the internal connections of
the computer in the other.  This is what you are setting by changing the
speed of your "modem" in Windows.

Modem-to-modem speed = actual connection speed along the phone line from
your modem to your destination's modem.  This is negotiated by the two
modems but cannot exceed the speed of the transfer from your computer to
your modem since the data cannot be sent by the modem any faster than it is
receiving the data from your computer.

This is why you can set your computer-to-modem speed to 115,000 bps and get
a connection speed of only up to 53,000 bps.  If you set your
computer-to-modem speed to 28,800 bps, that's the most you will get even if
the two modems do agree on a 53,000 bps connection.  This is why it is
recommended that you set the computer-to-modem speed to be at least twice
the rating of your modem.  It can help and it certainly won't hurt.

                    Digest mode - visit our web site:
                    http://nospin.com/pc/pcbuild.html