Date:
Tue, 26 Aug 2008 20:15:52 -0400

-----Original Message-----
From: vital.tremblay <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Sun, 24 Aug 2008 6:04 pm
Subject: [PCBUILD] using server as workstation

Hi foks, i lot a bagain on a 2U Dell Poweredge 2650 Server Dual XEON 1.8GHZ
SERVER and I wonder whether it is relevant d' to use it as workstation?

My main 2 questions is about wich Os should I use.

1. Because the normaly built for OS like Windows server could it work with
Windows Xp as well? I guest it may be difficult to find some drivers?

2 Do Windows server could be use as a wokstation OS? Do I take the risk to
enconter some probleme with some software?

All answers are wellcome!

Thanks!

Hello,

I am using a MSI server motherboard with dual 2400+ Athlon MP as my main pc for 4 years now with Windows 2000 SP4, without any problems.
Started of with four hard disks 80 Gb Maxtor in the pc and after two years went to two HD's 120 Gb maxtor and one year later to one 120 Gb maxtor.
From than on I was making back ups on USB 2 HD, I have four of them on my pc, 2 x 320 and 2 x 160 Gb.
Recently I bought a new pc with Vista Home Premium (Athlon 5000+, 2 gig ddr2) that I now use as my main pc.
The dual one I am testing with Vista Business upgraded to 2 gig ddr memory and go's as good as the new one, only the vga card is the lightest thing in it.
I would say go for it, the price of those PC's is really low so you can profit from it.
Just bough as second-hand Dell workstation Precision 330, with SCSI raid and 3 x 18,4 Gb Fujitsu HD's Win 2K license included for 100 euro (150$) can you believe it.
My old (five and a half years) Athlon 2000+ is still used every day with a choice of OS (Win 2K, Ubuntu and Open Suse 11) because some of my old software is not working on XP or Vista.
Linux is for the class I teach in or computer club and because I want to go completely to Linux, the Vista licenses are the last one I ever bought From Microsoft.
Hardware is not the cost in computing but Bill is, Open Office is the one I use and not MS any more.
Open source is the way to go.

All the best,
Roger.

                         PCBUILD's List Owners: