From:
Miron Dumitrescu <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 16 May 1998 22:50:00 +0200
   Regarding the message David Gillett wrote to All,

 DG>   My favourite (VLB, which might not work for you) EIDE/multi-IO card
 DG> was the DTC 2278E.  There was a 2278EB which added LBA BIOS; I think

   By the [E-IDE] way:

   I recently went with my brother to a computer fair and desperately asked
every single salesman around if they have oe at least know something about PCI
E-IDE cache controllers. Unbelievable, no one had such a thing :(
   I recall that in the good'old VLB days there were some VLB controllers with
memory banks and a poor microprocessor (80186, 80286, motorola 60820 or smth.)
and the HDD benchmarks were fabulous! (about 7MB/s on an old 420MB Drive!)

   Now, my question: is there such a card, or I won't ever find one? If there
is, I would greatly appreciate extra info (like, a price, hardware
specifications, an Internet site where they sell this stuff...)

   Thanks in advance.

   Oh, one more thing: if anyone knows a reason why I shouldn't buy it, I wanna
know too! If this matters, my hardware is: P133/Intel TX, HDD 2.1GB Quantum
Pioneer + 270MB Conner CFS, 2 EIDE CD-ROM drives. I don't have an UPS.

   Miron.

... To err is human, to really foul things up requires a computer.