From:
Benjamin Hawes <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 Mar 2000 11:25:00 -0500
Some of you might recall my situation a few weeks ago (I had trouble
installing a new DFI AT board with a K6-III 400mHz chip on my old
win95 Zeos -- thanks everyone for your help :^> ). I recently installed
the new motherboard and processor, I formatted my drives and installed
win98SE to replace my old win95. Now everything is good except for two
things:

1) my modem, a Prometheus v.34 (34K), seems to be slightly slower, but
not problematic except that I can't seem to access Microsoft's website!
(Ironic, no?) I've tried with various ISP's on multiple days with
multiple tries on both Netscape 4.7 and IE 4, and I always get the
message that the server is down or busy. I can connect to all other
sites without a problem. I configured the modem with a standard 33,600
baud driver, made sure all of the connection settings are correct for
my ISP, etc. Has anybody ever heard of this sort of problem?

2) When my PC shuts down (it is an AT power supply), it gives me the
color Windows screen that says "Windows 98 is shutting down", but it
doesn't give me the "It is now safe to shut of your computer" prompt.
Is this a problem? Why is it happening?

I would appreciate any help. Thanks.

Benjamin Hawes
Boston College