Date:
Thu, 29 Apr 1999 17:08:45 -0700
Susan Hays wrote:

> Where do I put the de-humidifying agent?  Just inside the box that the
> computer is stored or inside the pc itself?  Should I put it in the box that
> the monitor is stored also?  Thanks for the information.
>
> Susan Hays

Susan,

If it is on the outside of the box, the dessicant will be attempting to
dry out your storage room! Not a very good idea <g>.

Actually, it depends on HOW you intend to place the computer and monitor
in boxes.  The dessicant material should be in breathable bags.  This
will allow the dessicant to absorb the moisture in the air.  Now it
makes no difference in the dessicant is "IN" the computer or "outside"
the computer, just as long as the plastic bag that you are going to wrap
the computer in and place into a box is sealed (made airtight).
Obviously, you are not going to attempt to disassemble the cover of the
monitor, it is not necessary for the dessicant to do the job.

Sometimes, when you buy a product, after you open the plastic bag that
it comes in, you find some small sacks that have a warning label on them
to the effect "DO NOT EAT".  That is a dessicant material in the bag
with the item you purchased that is trying to keep the air within the
bag dry.  And by effect of the action of the dessicant, it keeps the
moisture in the air from reaching the item.

So the simple answer is place your dessicant sacks within the plastic
bags that you wrap up your computer items with.  Once the bags are
sealed, the dessicant will start to remove the moisture from the air
within the plastic bag.  And since the computer and monitor and whatever
is not airtight, the moisture in the air within these items will also
become dry.  As long as the plastic bag is well-sealed and there are no
holes in it, what little moist air that 'bleeds' thru the plastic will
become dry by the dessicant.

One word of caution.  If you put dessicant inside the computer, remember
that the sharp edges of objects could tear the sack that the dessicant
is in while moving the boxes into the storage area, and you will be
cleaning the loose dessicant material out of your computer when you open
it. (It is not harmful or corrosive, it is just ordinary silica, but you
may have lots of these beads pouring out of your system.  So keep the
bags on the outside.)

HTH
--
Jean Bourvic :>))