From:
David Farrington <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 11 Sep 2000 17:22:53 -1000
Dan Grasley wrote:

> Ok, this is kinda hard to explain.  One day, my PC was working fine.  The
> next day I turned it on and all that came up on the monitor was a message
> saying that the monitor was working fine and that I should check the cables
> or the video card.  Note: The machine was getting power, it was going
> through all the motions as if it was working properly. i.e- ran through
> POST, hard drive grinding away etc.
> So I take a video card out of a machine that works fine and put it in.
> Still the same problem.  I tried several different things and so as a last
> resort I strip the computer of everything and rebuild it from the ground up.
>   First thing I did was plug in my hard drive and video card, turn the power
> on and BAM! it works.  The machine boots, no problem.  So I plug all my
> other devices in and turn it on, again it works.  I leave it running for a
> few days and use it on a regular basis.  Then I turn it off wile I was out
> of town, I come back a few days later and turn it on - it doesn't work, just
> the message from the monitor.  So I strip it down, rebuild it, and it
> works...  This will get to be QUITE a hassle if I have to rebuild it
> everytime I want to use it! =)  The ONLY thing that I haven't tried yet was
> to replace the power supply.  Does anyone have any ideas what could be
> causing this problem?  Thanks in advance.

My answer to my understanding of your description is to first ask is your hard
drive full? If not, then I offer this. I have had this situation twice before.
Both times I replaced the hard drives. I found after reloading the drives many
times that the data would not stay there. Even reloading the data would not
change the problem. Formatting and reloading would fix it temporarily but the
problem would always come back. MSScandisk would not show file corruption.
Defrag would sometime not work. My suggestion is if you have a spare hard drive
to try then try it and see if this helps.

                     visit our download web page at:
                     http://nospin.com/pc/files.html