From:
Tony Mayer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 Nov 2004 14:15:01 -0800
If the drive manufacturer's diagnostic software is showing that the drive
has errors, I would assume they are physical errors.  If the drive is under
warranty, you might consider returning it for a replacement.  If it is not,
then it would be a good idea to replace the drive with a new one.

Tony Mayer

>My wife's computer started acting "funny" and I concluded that the hard
>drive must have some errors. Since it was a Seagate ST317242A drive, I
>downloaded the SeaTest diagnostic software from Seagate's site. My
>suspicions seemed to be confirmed when the diagnostic software reported a
>number of "irregularities" in the drive partitions. After running CHKDSK
>with fix option, problems went away on one partition, but remained on the
>other. I backed up the partition, deleted and recreated it, then did a full
>format to NTFS (this is under XP Pro). Unfortunately for me, the CHKDSK
>keeps saying that the drive is just fine, but the SeaTest diagnostics
>continue to report serious errors on that partition.
>
>Does someone have enough experience with SeaTest to advise me as to why this
>may be happening? Unfortunately, the SeaTest program does not give much
>information as to what the errors were. Also, any advice on other software I
>might run to check the partition?
>
>Thank you for any help. Please note that I have good expertise on computer
>hardware and software, but not specifically to SeaTest.

                  Visit our website regularly for FAQs,
                          http://freepctech.com