From:
Russell Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 17 Aug 2000 23:23:26 -0500
On Behalf Of Chris Rivenbark

>What is the performance difference between the PII and the PIII
>processors - who's going to experience a noticeable difference when
>upgrading?

>I have two users that want to upgrade their PII450 processors to PIII550
>- the maximum supported by their Asus P2B motherboards.  One user hopes
>for a performance enhancement in his VR dictation program.  The other
>wants faster performance for her graphics work.  Both have 128MB RAM
>onboard and use large capacity (>/= 20GB) UDMA drives.

   In a word...yes. The graphics user will notice snappier performance and
so will the VR user.
The Pentium II has 256K 1/2 speed L2 cache and the PIII has 256K full-speed
L2 cache, and runs on bus speeds of 100 MHz and up. I have seen many PIIs
and PIIIs with a wide configuration of software and the PIIIs are noticeably
faster in almost every benchmark. But both users would also be well served
to buy another 128 MB of RAM to help take their computing speed to a level
30% above what they have now (coupled with the CPU upgrade).

Russell Smith
http://www.rustysmith.com

                   messages? Visit our staff web site:
                     http://nospin.com/pc/staff.html