From:
Mark Rode <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 14 Jul 2000 00:22:19 -0700
I recently read an article about cable extensions in PCMAG. Surprisingly
you can indeed run SVGA 50 feet but you need to use good quality cable and
avoid in line connections. It is the connections that degrade signal
quality. If you connect direct from the monitor to the video card  using a
high quality cable comparable to what is on your monitor now you should
have no loss in single strength at 50 feet. Some monitors use cables that
plug into the monitor the same way they plug into the video card. One of
mine, a high end IIyama is like this. However most mid and lower end
monitors do not allow cable removal and  replacement directly in the
monitor and for those you have no choice but to have a in line connection.

One of my monitors...a mid price Hitachi....is hooked up to an Linksys
electric switch that feeds to four computers with good quality 10 foot
extensions. Two of them are at 20 feet with a in line coupling and I don't
notice any difference but the electric switch probably boosts the signal to
the monitor. However even if it worked I wouldn't want to do this with a
1000 dollar monitor on a high end graphics workstation.

  I am afraid you are going to have to try it and see if you notice any
loss on your particular setup.

Mark Rode
Senior Editor \ The NoSpin Group

>Is there any serious loss in performance from extending the SVGA cable
>from the standard to a 50' cable? I have read stories that a booster may
>be needed. I need to move my 3 machines into a closet and to do so need to
>purchase 50' extensions. Any feedback would be appreciated.

                   messages? Visit our staff web site:
                     http://nospin.com/pc/staff.html