From:
Marv Trott <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 18 Nov 2001 08:31:53 -0500
Robin,

I'm no expert on networks but I have a cable modem and a router connecting
two computers together.

The first place to start would be connecting one computer to the Cable/DSL
Modem and be sure that the computer can access the Internet.

As you know the Cable/DSL Modem connects to the incoming line from the ISP
and can either connect directly to the computer through a NIC(Network
Interface Card) via a Cat 5 cable or directly via a USB(Universal Serial
Buss).

The next step is to insert the Router between the Cable/DSL Modem and the
computer to be sure that it is working properly.

A Router looks like a NIC card to the ISP. If it works the same as my AT&T
Broadband connection the Router has to have the same MAC address as the NIC
card in the computer. The Router then sends the signal from the ISP to any
computer that is connected to it. I believe that the NIC in the computer
gets the IP from the Router.

Now other computers can be plugged in the other connectors on the Router
and they all should be able to access the Internet.

At this point you can start to address the access between the computers.
This may not be true  but I found it necessary to have the netBEUI protocol
on both computers in addition to TCP/IP. I know that the TCP/IP is required
to communicate on the Internet and I'm pretty sure that Windows 98 requires
netBEUI to communicate between computers.

Next both computers need to be setup for "file and print sharing". Rather
that explain the entire process here I would suggest that you look at the
Win98 Help files for "Sharing" and follow those instructions. There is also
a lot of information on the Help file on Networking.

If all goes well at this point on the Desktop you should be able to click
on Neighborhood Networks and see both computers and access the files and
printer.

Good luck

Marv Trott

>Date:    Sat, 17 Nov 2001 18:25:40 -0500
>From:    Robin Smith <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Home network
>
>A friend wants me to help him network his 2 PCs. He wants to do file and =
>print sharing and share an internect connection. This is the first time =
>I've done anything like this and would like a little guidance. Here's =
>what he has: 2 desktop PCs running Windows 98, a DLS modem, and a DSL =
>router. I'm not sure if the DSL modem is using a static IP (if it is the =
>ISP will only give him one) or DHCP. I know that the router will connect =
>to the DSL modem and the 2 PCs will connect to the router. I know how to =
>setup Client for Microsoft Network and the TCP/IP protocol. What else =
>needs to be done? Does the router take care of sharing the internect =
>connection?
>
>Thanks
>Robin

                     visit our download web page at: