From:
Yui Shin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 29 Oct 2000 10:04:56 -0800
Hi,
my own mother still uses a 486 DX50 w/8MB RAM & a 310MB HDD!!
And has Win95a installed and working on the internet. And yes it takes
a couple of minutes for the first web page to be loaded. But that's
nothing compared to how slow it was... I'll get back to this.

Simply put Win95 is a much larger operating system and requires more
RAM than Win 3.1 just to load. When you do not have enough RAM it falls
back on the hard drive in the form of Virtual Memory which is much
slower. Internet Explorer is the largest program in Win95, so while
you're waiting for it to come up you've probally noticed the heavy hard
drive activity. This is kind of a generic answer to your problem... you
need more RAM.

Now getting back to my original point. My mother's system was much
slower because of DOS drivers that were loaded robbing the system of
critical conventional memory. Any chance you have a similar situation?
Perhaps you have DOS drivers loaded for your CD ROM or sound card?
Win95 will load its own drivers for the CD ROM, but if you have DOS
drivers loaded you could default the controller to 16bit access only. A
easy way to find out if you're not sure is type this at the Win95 DOS
prompt:
   mem /c/p
this will list all TSR's currently loaded. Be sure to do this w/o
leaving Win95 to get a accurate picture. And if you do have DOS drivers
loaded... just disable them temporarily to see if it helps. Otherwise
Windows 9x is not dependent on Autoexec.bat or Config.sys the way DOS
is.

hopefully something here will help
-yui