From:
Paul Hachmeyer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 29 May 2007 11:01:40 -0400
The laptop needs the operating system (Windows XP, Vista, etc.) and all
the configuration data stored in the registry.   This includes info
about your computer hardware and software settings.   The easiest way to
do this is to use a product like Norton Ghost which will copy your old
hard drive to the new one.  Some programs will not work if copied as you
did since they also require registry data to run.
Paul Hachmeyer

Bob Kolenberg wrote:

>I am trying to replace the hard drive from an HP Laptop.I purchased an Apricorn Laptop Hard-drive enclosure that connects to my Desktop via USB ports. When I connected the old HD through the enclosure, I was able to see it was labeled "Drive F" automatically by my Desktop, and I was able to copy to my drive "C" all the files i wanted to put on the new drive. Howerver, when I connect the new HD into the enclosure, my Desktop only recognizes it as a mass storage devive with no identifier as a drive ap transfer the copied files. Did I miss something, formatting, or is there a step missed?
>
>The Birdman

                         PCBUILD's List Owners:
                      Bob Wright<[log in to unmask]>
                       Drew Dunn<[log in to unmask]>