From:
"Rand M. Blunck" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 26 Jan 2002 11:53:06 -0700
Brian,

I can't remember all your specifics, but I believe that your CD was
recognized by the BIOS on startup, but that your OS (Windows?) did not
support it.  Everytime this has happened to me, it was caused by the IDE
drivers, either not yet installed or corrupted in some way.  If you have not
tried this already, go into Device Manager in Safe Mode (F5 on boot before
the Windows splash), delete all Hard Disk Controllers and then restart.
Plug and Play should recognize the IDE channels and reinstall the controller
drivers.  If the CD is not visible still, reboot once again.  With any luck
it should not be usable.

Rand Blunck
Why Not Try Computing
Glendale, AZ

PS, I have a couple of machines where the boot order includes IDE-0, IDE-1,
etc.  I can't say off hand which BIOS supplier they come from though.