From:
Russ Poffenberger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 20 Dec 2004 15:14:57 -0800
Hi Sue,

I have not heard of a CD+R. Typically, there are CD-R, CD-RW, DVD+R, DVD+RW,
DVD-R, and DVD-RW. The "RW" types are rewriteable, whereas the "R" types are
write once.

On the DVD side, there are two types, DVD+R(W) and DVD-R(W). These are
different formats that came from different manufacturers. Some older
consumer DVD players may play  one and not the other. Some DVD players may
play both, some play neither. Also, whereas some players may play "R" media,
they may not work with "RW". You pretty much have to lookup the particular
player you have. DVD burners will also support CD-R and CD-RW.

Because there is no clear unified standard in DVD, most burners you get
nowadays support both formats, these are called dual format drives. In
addition, there is a relatively new standard for DVD+R DL (for dual layer),
these support nearly twice the capacity on dual layer disks (8.5 Gbytes vs.
4.7 Gbytes) of single layer.

As to what you have, if it is simply a recordable CD drive, you would have
to look up the model number on the HP web site and see what its specs are.
Also, the front faceplate will usually have logos on it that tell what it
supports. It could be CD-RW (which will support CD-R also), or may be CD-R
only. If it is a DVD recorder, HP on their older drives only supported DVD+R
and DVD+RW (also CD-R and CD-RW).

Russ Poffenberger