From:
John Chin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 Nov 2001 00:00:55 -0500
John Pfankuch and Rick Glazier wrote:

>How about using a demagnetizer on the floppies?

John & Rick:

Thanks for the ideas.

I tried that a few years ago with a video tape demagnetizer and it was
overkill. I recall the floppy drives balked at writing new tracks on the
disks. Protested with various, sundry error messages....

Perhaps a 1/4" audio tape demagnetizer may work. A floppy's magnetic
coating might be significantly less dense than video tape (mismatched
coercivity) but be comparable with audio tape.

Still, I would prefer a little DOS utility, so I could disable a boot
floppy in a batch file, in conjunction with KILLCMOS and a Drive C: boot
sector deletion, for a single catastrophic event. That'll test the resolve
of a student troubleshooter (particularly one who fails to write protect
his or her boot floppy).

Regards,

John Chin

                  Visit our website regularly for FAQs,