From:
Mark Rode <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 Mar 2012 11:48:24 -0700

>So I'm finding it easy to believe that the battery in my APC unit (maybe
>10 years old?) is dying/dead and I probably need to replace the unit.
>David Gillett

That would cause the UPS to start beeping annoyingly, but it would
not cause the motherboard to stall at POST. The APC software can tell
you if your battery is good or bad. Of course, the simple test for
this would be to unplug all your USB devices and see if the problem
is solved. If so, you can start re inserting them, one at a time to
see if anything happens.

  I had a similar problem a couple of months ago that turned out to
be a couple of bad Patriot RAM DIMMS. In my case the hang was
intermittent, and I was having other symptoms, like spontaneous
reboots from within windows. The USB chip loads right after the POST
RAM test which gave the appearance of a USB device problem.You can
always run Memtest to check the RAM. There is a free version
http://www.memtest86.com/.

There are two other instances where I have experienced continious
POST hangs. In both cases it involved 5 year old plus motherboards.
They would always hang at post but if I restarted right away they
would complete post, and load windows. I never did figure out why
they were behaving this way, however, I suspect it was some kind of
thermal issue on the motherboard.

Mark Rode

                    Digest mode - visit our web site:
                   http://freepctech.com/pcbuild.shtml