Date:
Tue, 23 Dec 2003 22:30:21 +1300
Faye, I'm pretty sure the cause of your problem is in your Outlook Express settings.

Sorry, I can't be more definite as it's a while since I used W98.  But somehere in OE Tools or Accounts there'll be a tick (or a check if you're in the US) in a box which basically says 'If I'm not connected to the Internet do it right now'.

You need to set this to 'Never, ever connect to the Internet unless I say so'

This'll certainly help.

Something else you could try is to delete your diallup connection altogether, reboot then set it up again after you restart.

Ian Porter
Computer Guys Inc.
Arrowtown
New Zealand