From:
Frank Suszka <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 Dec 1998 12:38:11 -0800
John Sanborn wrote:
I have an Epson Stylist 400 that the print head appears
clogged.  I've
ran the head cleaning utility numerous times replace
the ink cartage
and tried a quick swab of alcohol.  Still no go with
the black ink
(color is ok).

Dean Riddle wrote:
If the head is indeed clogged sometimes a sharp
whack of the side of the cartridge on a desk may
dislodge a clogged
nozzle,
or in case of air bubbles, a thumb or finger thump on
the side of the
cartridge may bring out air bubbles (so I've been
told). Sounds like
you've
tried everything else.

Epson Stylus printers don't have ink nozzles on the
cartridge as do the HP Printers. Removing a ink
cartridge from a Epson Printer and replacing it with
the same one is like removing a toilet and putting it
back without replacing the wax ring. The cartridge has
a seal on it and Epson recommends not removing the
cartridge before it is time to replace it due to the
fact that it may leak. No manufacturer recommends
refilling any cartridge because any particulate will
clog the nozzles.

The Epson cartridges do not have a bladder so there are
no air bubbles to be concerned with. Wacking any ink
cartridge on anything my cause the ink to spurt out
causing damage to whatever it contacts. Shaking them
will produce the same effect.

As for using alcohol or any solvent in a Epson or for
that matter any printer might craze the plastic or
worse, warp it. If anything is used, I would recommend
a solution of 50/50 Simple Green. Works for me.The
Epson Stylus has a two year warranty and If it is still
covered, I suggest that you send it in for repair or
replacement.

The following is a address for Epson on the
reasons for clogged nozzles. It may help you in trying
to clear up your problem.
http://www.epson.com/support/instans/400cprob.html

Sincerely,

Frank Suszka