From:
Richard Glazier <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 17 Jul 2010 10:57:30 -0400
I'm assuming you meant use their disk and your own KEY (if asked for a key).
Nothing wrong with that as long as the types match. (If it works.)

The following is a description "in general" and CAN and WILL be different
for some people. (Especially when changing OEMs or any of the "types" mentioned below.)
( A real case of YMMV...)

This gets into "channel types", "media types", OS types, and all sorts of
convoluted anti-piracy schemes used by MS and the large OEMs.
I've rarely seen a good comprehensive explanation of what they do.
I've never seen a full explanation. It is too complex.

Dell "can" use what is called an OEM "BIOS lock" for activation.
There is "code" in the BIOS that must be present in the install disk.
Once they match, no activation is needed and you can change anything as
much as you want EXCEPT the part of the BIOS that has this code embedded.
This is why changing the MB sometimes kills the activation on a LARGE-OEM
machine. How many models or (certain) types a single embedded BIOS code
will work with is anyone guess.
(Side note: Another part of the BIOS seldom changed in a "flash" is the Boot Block.)

Dell also "can" use a factory install key. It is different than the one on
your case sticker.  It is basically a "place holder" for your personal key,
should that be needed later for some reason.

From what I've heard, some factory keys (the Factory Image generic keys),
were disabled since too many people abused them.
MS has a "clearing house" that keeps track of disabled keys, and that is
where machines call (to check in/on) or to be activated.

WHEN the MS system fails, (and they have always had false positives),
you just "fight" with them (gently) until you prove you are legal.
It is generally pretty easy to prove that -- if you actually are.
I've never even talked to anyone. The "telemetry" did it with (small) special
test programs they offer you in their troubleshooting pages. These pages
appear by themselves as the problem progresses. (Pretty slick.)

FWIW: I just took delivery of replacement Factory Restore Laptop disks (4-CDs)
because a friend lost them, and buying more (for $25-US) was easier than fighting the
system (as in - trying a workaround) when "the problem" was basically on my end...
(And Laptops are much harder to get running "bare metal", especially VERY old ones.)

HTH,

"Disclaimer": This is very oversimplified and I can't(will not) expand on this answer any further.

Rick Glazier

From: <vandervoort>
>I work on a lot of Dells and I've discovered, to my delight, that you
can frequently use disks from one machine to install an OS or drivers on
another. It's amazing to me that people don't keep track of these disks,
but they are very often mislaid. It must not be the license key that's
included, but some other identifying info. I've heard this is something
in the BIOS, but don't really know.

From: "Paul%20A.%20Shippert"
>>In my experience with Dell, their computers usually are accompanied by a
set of restore disks (or maybe, lately) a restore partition.  The COA
and license number are included and automatically entered when doing a
reinstall.  Futher, such disks are "paired" with the computer and will
not work on other machines.

                     visit our download web page at
                  http://freepctech.com/downloads.shtml