From:
Liz & Ray Hornung <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 23 Jul 2004 07:55:57 -0400
Paul,

It will be a lot easier if we know what kind of machine you have.  If it's
not a name brand, open it up and tell us what you see.  Numbers on the
motherboard, amount of memory, the card population, etc.

Did you change any components lately?  Did this behavior slowly start
happening every once in a while or was it a sudden them forever after event?

I've recently shared this problem on two different desktops with two
different causes.  The first was a bad video card.  My BIOS checks that
first and wouldn't do anything on start up.  Try swapping out a known good
video card.  Could be either the card or the socket.  Are you using an AGP,
PCI, or onboard video adapter?

The second was a no-name memory stick which worked for over a year and one
night decided it was over.  This took a bit for me to figure out as I
assumed it was the same problem as the computer mentioned above.  Try
removing and resetting the memory stick.  If that doesn't work, borrow or
buy a compatible stick for your machine and plug it in.

My son once slid my power supply switch from 110Volts to 220 Volts.  Enough
to get the fans spinning and the lights on but not enough juice to crank it
up.  Could be the power supply is going and is not putting out enough power,
but that usually is preceded by chronic rebooting, not a sudden event.

As mentioned by another group member, it could be the motherboard.
Particularly if you are into overclocking and crank the voltage up a bit.

Let us know the outcome, what worked and what didn't.

My bet is the video or memory.