From:
Jeffrey Delzer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 13 Feb 1999 11:34:09 -0600
Susan Hays wrote:

> << You can do that a lot easier with a program called
>  WinZip.  It will allow you to take a download, and put
>  it in a (floppy) disk spanning archive.
>  I have done this with single files as large as 14 megs.
>  The program is available in a fully operating evaluation
>  version at http://www.winzip.com
>  It comes in Win 3.1 and Win95 versions.
>       Rick >>
>
> Shows you how much I know.  I have had WinZip for a very long time.  However,
> I thought that it was used strictly for unzipping files to put on your hard
> drive.  Never knew you could copy the unzipped files to floppies.  Is it
> complicated to do?  I am using Win98.  Thanks for the information.

WinZip, like other programs of its kind, has two basic functions. The
most common, perhaps, is to unzip archives to extract their individual
files in order to be able to use those files. The other basic function,
then, is to create archives (of the Zip variety) in order to save
storage space or be able to handle a multi-file application as a single
entity. It's during this archive creation phase that the user is
presented with the option to "span" the archive across multiple
floppies, if necessary. For anyone who doesn't use WinZip but is
interested in this procedure, here is the relevant section from the
WinZip Help.

     WinZip makes it easy to create Zip files that “span” multiple
     disks.  This is useful if the files you are working with will
     not fit on one disk.

     To make a Zip file that spans multiple disks, simply create a
     Zip file on a removable disk, then add files to the Zip as you
     normally would.  If the disk fills during Add operation, you will
     be prompted for another disk.  Simply insert the next disk and
     click the OK button.

     Copyright ¸ 1991-1998 Nico Mak Computing, Inc.

There are a few more tips and a step by step example given in the Help
file, but hopefully you see by now that this is not a complicated
operation. Good luck!

Jeff Delzer

             to be posted to: [log in to unmask]