From:
David Gillett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 4 May 2005 23:34:41 -0700
  There are a couple of pieces of information that would be helpful in
troubleshooting just about any network issue:

1.  The make, model, and version numbers of network components involved --
in this case, the router and the WAP.

2.  The output of running "ipconfig /all" and "route /print" on
  a) at least one working cliemt, and
  b) the non-working client(s)

3.  Any DHCP and NAT configuration on the network.

4.  Ping results between various components.

  Any of these might contain vital clues as to what is failing where.

David Gillett

On 3 May 2005 at 10:54, Gordon Totty wrote:

> I hope this isn't a duplicate. Tried to send this last night.
>
> Background: Running a home network with following components: desktop with Win XP Pro, Ethernet connection to router; second desktop with Win XP Home, Ethernet connection to router; laptop with Win XP Home, wireless connection to WAP; WAP Ethernet connection to router.  Internet sharing via cable modem hooked to router.
>
> Objective: Connect another desktop with Win 2000 Pro via second wireless connection to WAP.
>
> Grief: New member of group immediately connected to Internet, but via a neighbor's unprotected setup!  Very weak signal.  Managed to get this machine to connect to my WAP, and by fiddling with channels finally got a strong signal.  However, cannot connect to Internet.  Curiously, it worked one time and one time only via my WAP.  All other attem
> pts to hook up have failed.
>
> Questions: Do I need to reinstall my entire network to add this computer?  Seems unnecessary, as it was not in my neighbor's network.  Is there a short cut to just add one new member to a network?  I use MAC address filtering, and gave the WAP the new MAC address.  Should I turn this off?
>
> Any help appreciated as I'm at my wit's end (short journey).  I'm no expert in this stuff!
>
> Gordon Totty
>
>                          PCBUILD's List Owners:

                    Digest mode - visit our web site:
                   http://freepctech.com/pcbuild.shtml