From:
Thomas Holmes <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 3 Apr 1999 11:26:13 EST
In a message dated 4/3/99 1:19:12 AM EST, [log in to unmask] writes:

> Firstly, disable your "real" COM ports in the BIOS, go to desktop, shut
>  down, power off, install modem, check PNP AWARE is ON in BIOS, reboot, Win
>  should detect the modem, create a virtual port for it, then automatically
>  assign the modem to that port. Then reboot and re-eanble one of your "real"
>  COM ports, there should be no clashing that way. HTH
>
>  >How do you setup a PCI modem..I am using a Abit BH6 MB, with a
>  >Celeron 333MHz CPU and Windows 95. Will Win/98 detect and setup this
>  >modem (WinComm V.90 from Jaton) or will changes have to made thru the
>  >BIOS and/or with setting jumpers on the Modem..Using a ISA modem was
>  >simple..no fuss.
>
>  Regards
>
>  Steve Harrison

     This certainly is similar to previous modem installation instructions
posted to this list where it directs one to enter the CMOS settings and "to
disable" the comm port.  However, if the comm port were disabled at its
physical address, then would it not remain disabled when one returned to
install the modem.  Does not the CMOS instruction actually disable the
external serial jack physically connected to the comm port and otherwise
logically entitled to this address?  If that be the case, it certainly is
easier for us to conceptually understand how this onboard comm port then
might be available for the modem installation having been relieved of the
customary duty of serving the external serial port.
     John Chin, we see you write on this with some frequency.  Is this the
correct concept?

Tommy Holmes, Jr.

             to be posted to: [log in to unmask]