From:
Bob LaSalle <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 Feb 1999 15:00:33 -0500
Greetings,

I have a Fujitsu M1624TAU IDE 2.1GB hard drive. The drive has failed but is
not really all that old nor does it have high hours of past usage. The
spindle bearings are most likely in perfect condition. When power is applied
to the drive, it briefly starts to spin up and then immediately shuts down.
Power
 at the drive motor appears for a short time and is then cut off, most
probably by a
failed circuit component in the hard drive. +12 VDC and +5 VDC remains
steady at the power input connector to the drive. The external power supply
is working fine, and there are very few components in the drive between the
power input connector and the drive motor.

Is anyone familiar enough with the circuit components inside of hard drives
to have an idea as to the probable source of this failure? If possible, I
would like to repair this drive myself. Unfortunately, I have no circuit
diagram for the device. It appears that there are one small IC and a small
number
of surface-mount resistors between the power input connector and an onboard
connector with ribbon cable to drive motor.

Anybody have any thoughts or suggestions as to how to proceed with repair?

Many thanks,

Bob LaSalle

                    Digest mode - visit our web site:
                    http://nospin.com/pc/pcbuild.html