From:
Joe Lore <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 Mar 2004 13:01:33 -0500
Hi,

Getting a USB 2.0 card and hooking it up to the front of the case will
NOT ensure him of USB 2.0 connections, unless you know for sure the
connector in the case was USB 2.0 compliant, if it is an early one, my
guess is it would not be.

Usually the connector in the case uses either 1-10 pin or 2-5 pin
connectors that are designed to connect to the main board.  You would
have to make sure the card has such a connection also
or you will have to change the case's complete assembly, or find
adapters to get the job done.

You may find some USB conversion adapters at www.cyberguys.com. They
have a good selection of odds and ends.

Type A connectors are not physically different for USB 2.0.  Think about
it, then they would not be backwards compatible to usb 1.1.  But
electrically there is a difference.  I have connected usb 1.1 cabling to
a USB 2.0 port and the system comes up with a warning that I am not
using the fastest cabling and data transfer will be slower.  So there is
something that is different.

Thanks and have a Great Day!

Joe Lore
============================
I have a friend who has an early P4 1.4 GHz machine with USB 1.1 ports
in the front of his case and he would like to upgrade to USB 2.0 and be
able to have the front ports be USB 2.0 as well.

 I am trying to help him.  If he gets a USB 2.0 card with an internal
port and it is connected to the front ports would he have USB 2.0 in the
front?  What kind of cable is needed to connect to the front ports?  Are
Type A Female connectors different for USB 2.0?

                         PCBUILD's List Owners:
                      Bob Wright<[log in to unmask]>
                       Drew Dunn<[log in to unmask]>