From:
David Gillett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 9 May 2004 12:25:03 -0700
On 2 May 2004 at 12:39, Loy Pressley wrote:

> How many 45 minute tapes can I get on one CD?  On a DVD?

  CDs are sized to hold at least an hour of high-fidelity stero sound.  You
*might* be bound to that *if* you need the CDs to play in all common CD
players.
  But you may be able to extend this by sacrificing stero and/or fidelity,
which *may* only be options if you write to the CD as data files rather than
as a standard audio CD.

  DVDs hold about 8 times as much as CDs, and many DVD players can pick up
files such as MP3s (which are compressed).  I think most DVD burners also
support burning CDs, so that's the way to go in building a new system even
if you postpone the choice of recording media.

David Gillett