From:
David Gillett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Jan 2004 22:59:35 -0800
  You can certainly make the 40 GB a slave to the 10.  But duplicating the
entire partition over to the 40 (and then expanding it to the entire
drive...) is very straightforward with a tool like Partition Magic (which
I've been using for years with ZERO problems).

  The "7200" is not "transfer speed", it's how fast the drive rotates in
RPM.  Your 10GB *probably* rotates at 5400 RPM.  This relates less to how
fast data is transferred from the drive to the CPU, than in how long it
takes for the location of desired data to come around to where the head can
read it (this is "latency").

David Gillett

On 7 Jan 2004 at 9:09, Chuck Narrow wrote:

> I have an existing 10gb hard drive and need to upgrate. I bought a 40gb
> WD hard drive and would like to make it a slave to the 10gb hd.  I do not
> want the hassle of having to move all of my existing programs, data  etc
> to the larger drive for fear of loosing someting I negleted to move.  Is
> it a problem doing this? The transfer speed of the 40gb hd is 7200 and
> I'm sure the 5 year old 10gb hd is slower.  Does it really matter?  Do
> you have any suggestions about this that might ease the pain of this
> installation? I am running xp pro. with 215mg ram, and 1.4ghz processor.
> Thanks. chuck Narrow

                    Digest mode - visit our web site:
                   http://freepctech.com/pcbuild.shtml