From:
John Chin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 13 Oct 1998 21:18:24 -0400
At 10:26 AM 10/13/1998 corbin boyt wrote:

>Last spring I convinced my girlfriend's family to buy an IBM PS/2 machine
>at a resale warehouse.  I was not aware at how proprietary these machines
>were.  I have had many headaches associated with this computer.  Recently
>I decided I would like to try to upgrade this computer.

Corbin:

You need to state the PS/2 model you are trying to upgrade.
It looks like you need to stick with SCSI devices on that
platform, if it's a Microchannel PS/2.

As a general reference, I suggest you look at the IBM PS/2
support site at:

  http://www.pc.ibm.com/support?page=IBM%2BPC%257CPS%252F2

the IBM ftp file library at:

  ftp://ftp.pc.ibm.com/pub/pccbbs/

and the IBM BBS site for PS/2s at:

  http://os2.ibm.be/bbs/10C/index.html

A fairly good support page is Computercraft's PS/2 site:

  http://www.computercraft.com/docs/ps2sect.html

as is the IBM Enthusiast's Microchannel site at:

   http://members.aol.com/mcapage0/mcaindex.htm

I owned 3 PS/2s and though they were well made the
lack of upgradability at a reasonable cost made them
expendable. I suggest you only upgrade with parts which
will migrate to clone computers so you won't have any
regrets.

Good luck.

John Chin

                                  -----