From:
Tom Turak <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 29 Dec 2000 19:03:04 -0500
First, you may be telling the 2940 to scan for boot disk, I think.  I
have
used scanning for first bootable drive on some adapters, and I sometimes
set a boot id.
I can't remember if this is my 2940 and I can't take my servers down to
check!  Just in case I'm right, if you use scanning, don't have multiple
boot
partitions, a poorly installed / maintained boot partition suddenly
chosen
first can cause your issues, something that looks bootable may be on the
IBM.
I prefer to tell the adapter thru setup exactly which device to boot.
With the 2940, it can be any id other than the adapter's.
Next, I would disconnect all devices except the boot device.  This will
prove the termination etc is correct.  Add devices one at a time.
With the wide connector, I have seen your trouble just from a poor
connection.
Why aren't the cdroms on the 2940?  If this is not a server, you won't
gain
any significant performance by using two adapters.  There are even some
extreme cases where you are degrading performance.  Adaptec recommends
you
set the cdrom ids lower than the hard drives if you put them all on the
2940.
Tom Turak