From:
Kevin Nowicki <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 Jan 1999 20:21:27 EST
Dear Listers:

I'm having trouble setting up my LS-120 Mitsubishi model #MF357G-2111UAL.
Upon bootup, it goes through the RAM test, detects primary master, detects
secondary slave as "LS-160 $$$$$45$$$$" and a bunch more dollar signs.  Then
it goes and detects the cd-rom (setup as primary slave) with a bunch of
letters that don't spell anything and finishes the line off with a bunch of
)'s.   then stops.  A soft or hard boot has the same results.

System:
HOT 555A mb
Pent 233mmx
32mg ram
2.1 g HD
Win95SR2

The BIOS is Award Modular BIOS v4.51PG  555WiQ0G 11-11-97-i430vx,
8680-2A59GH2KC-00 .  The disk that came with the motherboard had a bios
upgrade  that would support the LS-120.    I copied the flash utility and bin
file to the root directory of C: and booted from floppy.  I entered the flash
utility file name which came up with a screen asking for the bin file name.  I
entered the new bin file name and (I think) it did its job.  I powered off,
waited about 10 minutes, then restarted.  The Award BIOS number at the bottom
of the screen changed so I figured the update worked.

I then installed the LS-120.  Attaching a IDE cable to the secondary
controller on the motherboard and attached the other end to the LS-120.  (The
instructions said Win95 SR2 had native support so loading the driver disk
wasn't necessary).  When I booted up I got the results I mentioned earlier.

Prior to installing the LS120, everything was detected and worked fine.  What
am I doing wrong?  What can I check?

TIA
Kevin Nowicki

             to be posted to: [log in to unmask]