From:
John Dinges <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 Jan 2004 02:38:24 -0500
I don't think you really want to use brake cleaner inside your computer. I repair industrial equipment and buy and use brake cleaner by the case. It is rather aggressive, particularly on plastics. Would probably soften or dissolve some plastics, it also removes paint. Electric Motor cleaner is not as aggressive, but personally, would be hesitant to spray it in a computer.You might try wiping down the inside of the case and all hard parts you can get at with a good general purpose cleaner then spray the inside with something like "Fabreeze" or other odor neutralizing spray.
I have seen how companies like "Tektronix" (o-scopes,test equip) clean equipment they overhaul. They put them in a booth and spray them down with a sudsy cleaning agent, then rinse with water, blow them off then put them in an oven at around 300 deg for several hours.Of course I think you would want to remove your drives first. I don't recommend this, but I saw it done.Kind of a last resort I guess.
I had a bad odor with something or other one time and I just went on Google and typed in "How can I get rid of an odor" and I got several good responses. You might give it a shot.

Good Luck,
John

On Fri, 16 Jan 2004 12:58:29 -0500, Rick Glazier <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>After blowing the case out, (not "good enough"),
>Is there anything "else" I can do to get rid of the terrible cigarette
>smell coming from a machine when it is running.
>It is strong enough to give me a headache...
>(Chemical neutralizer sprays, etc??)
>
>                                                   Rick Glazier
>
>From: "Frank Suszka" <[log in to unmask]>
>> As you know, many of us who service machines can attest to the dust
>> and cigarette nicotine layering the inside of the case.
>
>              The NOSPIN Group is now offering Free PC Tech
>                     support at our newest website:
>                          http://freepctech.com

                         PCBUILD's List Owners:
                      Bob Wright<[log in to unmask]>