From:
Jim Meagher <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 1 Feb 1999 18:07:13 -0500
-----Original Message-----
From: Paul Wittry <[log in to unmask]>

>---Reply to mail from Jim Meagher about [PCBUILD] Connection Speed
>
>> You each have a piece of the picture.  You are getting confused because
>> you are actually talking about two related but different things.
>>
>> First there is the INTERNAL communications speed from the CPU to the
>> communictations port (or in this case, modem).  This can be as high as
>> 115,200 (and should be set for that)
>
>What is the anacronym for this "INTERNAL communications speed" and
>how does one "set" it?

I don't know about any anacronyms but the setting is labeled "bits per
second" in the dialog box.

RIGHT-click MY COMPUTER --- left-click PROPERTIES -- DEVICE MANAGER --
open the PORTS section -- select the desired comm port -- click
PROPERTIES -- click PORT SETTINGS, change the setting.

>> The second is the EXTERNAL communications speed which is how fast the
>> modem "talks" ACROSS THE PHONE LINE to the other modem.  This is set by
>> the communications application (or in this case, DUN).
>
>Same question, what is it called, and how does one "set" it?

That depends on the software being used.  In some communications programs
you can limit the modem's speed.  HOWEVER,.... by default..... the modem
will attempt to connect at the highest speed it has available.  So the
answer to how do you "set" it is ---- you don't, the modem sets the speed
itself, based on the quality of the connection and the modem at the other
end.  It's the part of the connection process which is called "Protocol
Arbitration".

                     http://nospin.com/pc/files.html